Saturday, January 24, 2015

Yunohana Onsen with Schwalbe Winter Tyres

Today, Brompton and I went to Yunohana Onsen in Aizu Region for a day trip through a snow-covered road. It was not a good condition for a bike ride but I wanted to try a new equipment for Brompton.

It is second time to visit Yunohana Onsen. There are four public bath of hot spring in the village and I went to Ishinoyu and Yubatanoyu last time but no enough time to dip myself into famous Tenjin-no-yu. There is another reason, trial use of Schwalbe Winter Tyres on the snow-covered road.


[data]
course: Tateiwa Tourist Information bus stop→ Yunohaha Onsen →Tochu bus stop
distance: 7.6km
maximum difference of elevation: 58m
average % of slope: total 0.4% ascend 2.1% descend 1.9%
gained elevation: ascend 63m descend 35m

The train arrived at Aizu Kogen Ozeguchi station. The area around the station was covered with deep snow.


Brompton and I took a bus ride in order to go beyond Nakayama pass, with elevation of 975m.

Snow was getting more and more when our bus went beyond the mountain. Fortunately it was getting fine and warm though weather report told it might snow in the region. I got off the bus at Tateiwa bus stop.
 
Today my Brompton M3L was equipped with Schwarbe Winter Stud 16 inch tyres.

Let's go to Yunohana Onsen.

The road to Yunohana Onsen village was covered by snow. The Schwalbe Winter Tyres perfectly bit snow surface and studs cut into freezed pavements. Brompton ran as if I just rode on the normal paved road in Summer. Brompton was able to keep 16-18 km/hour on the pressed snow road.



Soon I arrived in Yunohana Onsen village. I needed to buy a spa ticket in advance.

This is "Tenjin no yu" spa, very famous amongst Onsen lovers.

A good news is no one arrived yet but it still needed to fill the hot spring in the bathtub.

When the bathtub is not yet filled up, only thing I can do is to wait.
An hour later, the bathtub was finally filled up with hot spring water.


It was a wonderful and perfect experience of Onsen in the snow country.

No comments:

Post a Comment