Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Trail to Port Fairy

Last weekend I went for a Brompton ride on the Port Fairy Rail Trail, starting from Warrnambool toward Port Fairy, a truly fairy town in the West Victoria, Australia.



[Ride Data]
Distance: 36.6km
Max. difference of elevation: 71m
Average % of slope: total 0% ascent 2.1% descent 1.9%
Acquired elevation: ascent 134m descent 113m


Sunday at 9 am Brompton and I were in Southern Cross Station, Melbourne, to become a part of the V-line passengers traveling to Warrnambool.

After 3 hours I arrived in Warrnambool. The station was a lovely, brick-built building.

I planned today's 40 km trail ride to Port Fairy one way only. I supposed to return to Warrnambool Station by V-line coach, leveraging the advantage of Brompton's portability. 

I started and went across the town. The building in the back is old Warrnambool Court House.

The trail continues about 37 km from Warrnambool to Port Fairy. Most part of the trail is unpaved and passes through extensive farm land.

Brompton and I ran for an hour and quarter, arriving at old Koroit Station. It was about the middle of the rail trail.

After a short break, I restarted a ride. Still long way ahead to go.

A head wind blew from the south. It was getting more and more windy. The ride could not help but being slowed down.  As I was thirsty and tired then, I took second break on the wooden bridge near old Moyne Station. I had an orange here to be recharged.

After an half hour ride from Moyne Station, I reached the high way crossing. Only 1.6 km was left to Port Fairy.

Finally I arrived in the fancy town. Port Fairy was quiet, historic town by the sea. The old buildings on the center street were well preserved.

The port looked like a pretty harbour for marine leisure.

Sea wind comfortably blew to cool me down. I took the rest by the sea until the V-line coach departed to Warrnambool.



Other Rail Trail Rides:
Spring has come to Australia
Brompton goes to the Great Victorian Rail Trail (the Goulburn Valley rail trail)
Brompton goes to Lilydale Warburton Rail Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment